Friday, April 25, 2014

Hey Ump, Even Stevie Wonder Could See That One!


Every team has that parent that screams at the umpire, that spews negativity and behaves as if the entire rest of his/her own life depends on the outcome of one baseball game.  I don’t agree with it and I certainly don’t like it. 

But….

If a whole group of parents are yelling at an umpire over a number of calls, you have to wonder if maybe the parents are right.  I’m not talking about a little league game with a dad who volunteered to umpire or a teenage boy who is umping to make some cash to take his girlfriend to Arby’s.  I’m talking about a high school baseball game with paid PIAA officials.

I get that umpires are only human but so are the players
            who are working hard
                        who are doing their best
                                    who expect fairness
                                                who are taught to respect the “man in blue”
                                                            who are human too.

Shenango is on the threshold of making the playoffs.  This hasn't happened for a number of years.  These boys put an enormous amount of pressure on themselves to make this happen. They put it all out there when playing their competition.  Unfortunately, the last few games they've had two competitions going…..
            the opposing team in the opposite dugout
                        and the men in blue. 

I know I’m full of emotion this year and I want more than anything for my son and the rest of the team to do well, but I don’t typically bash umpires.  When I coached, my philosophy was that “umpires (referees) do not win or lose a game for you”.  I still believe in that philosophy but I've added, “but they sure can suck”. 
                       
He’s safe!
No, he’s out!
Well, which is it?

As often as not, any number of coaches, players or fans will stubbornly conclude that whatever decision the umpire made, it’s the wrong one.  Are they wrong?  Look at an example in MLB. How accurate do you think major league umpires are at calling balls and strikes? They obviously aren't as accurate as us fans sitting in the seats -- after all, we're always correct, right? But what percentage of ball/strike calls would you guess that umpires botch?    
5%?      
8%?
Would you believe 14%?

Being an umpire is probably not an easy gig.  There is a lot of judgment involved and there are rule interpretations.  Plus an umpire has to be able to control the game. Decisions have to be made in a split second and it is expected to be the correct decision with no room for failure.  I know all this and I accept all of that.  What I can’t accept is an umpire who will stand in one spot and make a call that is nowhere near where he is.  Do it once, shame on him!  Do it twice or more?  You deserve the crowd yelling at you. 

We have umpires from PIAA.  Their website listed a few benefits for becoming an “official for interscholastic athletics”.   An umpire
makes a difference in the lives of students
encourages exercise through competition
establishes lifelong fundamentals of fairness.
It goes on to say that umpiring isn't for the “faint of heart”.  It’s athletically challenging, requires cool and decisive thinking and means you have to “stick to your guns”. 

Makes a difference in the lives of students?  Really?  Do they really think a kid is going to remember how an umpire or referee made a difference in their life?  I can only remember one referee from when I played basketball in high school and I can tell you that I do not remember him because of his reffing skills.  He just looked damn good in his uniform.  :)

Encourages exercise?  Please refer to my statement above about the umpire standing in one spot the whole game.  I’m pretty sure if I offered him a lawn chair, he would have taken it. 

Establishes lifelong fundamentals of fairness?  Rightttttttt! 

And what does one need to do to become a PIAA umpire?  Complete the application, pay $30, study the rule book, and pass the exam with a 75%.   Okay, that seems sufficient.  My questions are:
Do they have to re-take the test, ever? 
       Is there an age rule?
              Is there an eye test? 
                    Do they have to pass a physical?
                             Do they have to show proof they can move to make a call?

I know, I know! Get over it, Kim!  I know there are good umpires out there.  But come on!  We had 3 games in a row where the officiating was horrendous! 
           
So what can we, as parents, do?  We want to see our boys do well.  We want to see them win.  We need to teach our boys to focus on the game—improve as ballplayers---and don’t let the officials get into their heads. Whatever happens as far as calls go, they have no control over it. They can only control what they do themselves, and they need to do it to the best of their ability.

We need to tell our boys to divorce themselves from the officiating and to demonstrate self-discipline and self-control.  Our boys must not learn to blame the umpires for their performance.  They need to learn to rise above it. 

Alright, I guess umpires are human (most of them anyway). And this means they're going to make mistakes. All I ask from umpires is to hustle and move closer to a play, know the rules, communicate clearly, and maintain a focus on doing what's right for the players. Nail those and I can live with a blown call from time to time.

If not, well, then I have my list of heckles ready….

 (Hold up my cell phone) Hey Ump, is this your cell phone? Because it has three missed calls!

  Hey Ump, You’re not gonna sleep a minute tonight because you've slept all game.

   If I had a dollar for every good call you've made, I’d be broke!
  
   Give me an I, Give me another I, GIVE THEM TO THE UMP!










No comments:

Post a Comment