Friday, April 11, 2014

Dear Tyler.....

Dear Tyler,
Today is an exciting day for you and your team mates.  Not many high school players get the opportunity to play on a Major League Baseball field.  As I sit quietly watching you go through the motions of getting ready for school, I can’t help but feel an overabundant amount of pride and love.  I’m so full of emotion.

It became clear to me a few days ago that you are not my little boy anymore. We were discussing pitching and the different scenarios of for the upcoming section games and the importance of who pitched which game.  I realized that if you pitched the Riverside game that you would not be able to pitch at PNC and I expressed my disappointment to you.  I said, “What are those coaches thinking?” and “You are a senior, you deserve that opportunity?”  After all, what mother of a pitcher doesn’t want to see her child pitch on a Major League Field?   You looked at me and said, “Mom, let’s be mature about this.  Winning section games is far more important than me throwing an inning on Friday.”

Oh. 

At that moment, I felt like the child.

You were right, Tyler.  You were absolutely right.  It was my selfish wants that needed to see you pitch at PNC Park.  You were just happy to get the opportunity to be there.  At that moment, I couldn’t have been more proud of you. 

Your senior year has sped by with lightning speed.  Not just senior year, but your whole life so far.  Only yesterday you were sitting in front of the television, glued to the images of Barney singing and dancing.   You had a costume for each new adventure that filled your imagination.
  
Throughout the years, your imagination has taken you to new worlds filled with adventure.  You will be graduating soon and you will begin a new journey to a world filled with new adventures, I want to remind you of a few things you have learned along the way.  Take these with you into your new life.
 
Stay true to yourself---- The young man you have become is exactly who you were supposed to be.  Know what you want and go for it, despite what anyone else says, including me! Yes, even including me…although I might pout and whine when you don’t agree with me.

Be good to yourself----You are strong, funny, and honest.  Never stray from those qualities.  Taking care of yourself and being good to yourself helps you be good to others.

Be good to others--- Your amazing and kind heart is what draws people to you.  For years, people have spoken of your kindness and politeness.  Treat people well and they will treat you well.  And if they don't, then you've at least done the right thing.

When in question, wait---Sometimes you aren't going to know what to do.  Sometimes after you've asked ten people for advice you still won't know what to do.  When this happens, just wait.  Wait.  Ask for the answers and they will come.  Ask God.  Ask your shoe.  It doesn't matter.  The answers will come.  Don’t forget to always ask your mom, though.  J

Everything will be okay--- When you feel as if your world is crashing around you and things couldn't possibly get worse, know that yes, they can get worse.  But...know that everything will be okay.  Nothing will last forever - not heartache, not problems, not your six-pack abs.

I'm here for you---You have been raised to be a strong, independent young man ready to venture out on his own after high school.  As much as I’m dreading the thought of you leaving, I am looking forward to seeing you spread your wings and enjoy your independence, I know you will fall from time to time.  When you do, know that I am here for you.  I will always be here for you.  Even if you do something stupid and go to jail, I will be here for you.  Momma always has bail money tucked away.  I may let you stay in jail to learn your lesson, but I will be here for you. :)

Seriously, we learn our lessons by making mistakes.  You will make mistakes, small ones and big ones, stupid ones.  But through all of them, I will be here for you. 

Go get ‘em today, Tyler!  Have fun, enjoy the moment and just be you!  Make memories with your friends!  As always, when you look into the crowd of fans, I will be there….up front….face pressed against the fence…..mumbling to myself about the umpire sucking……

I love you….more than you will possibly ever know.
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment