Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I'm not fat....I just had a baby..........


I'm not fat....I just had a baby......

....seventeen years ago!      
                          
 I've never been thin....well, there was that one time, but that was short-lived and was because I was in love for the very first time.  I don't come from a petite, thin family.  I am of German Dutch descent on my dad's side and a mixture of Polish and Irish on my mom's side.  I did a little research of "body types" of women from these particular heritages and I found it very interesting.  An article I read on Fitnesstreats.com states that, "Northern European women tend to be tall (Dutch women are the tallest in Europe) and muscular in shape. They have thick bones and muscles. When wearing skirts, few have lean “top model”-looking legs. At the gym, they have good muscular strength and coordination but low speed and poor flexibility".   BINGO! We have a winner!  Soooooo, I'm not fat, I'm big boned! Now we're talking!

I recently lost a significant amount of weight.  I'm actually about ten pounds away from my goal weight.  I should feel proud, happy, ecstatic, bursting at the seams with joy, but instead I'm embarrassed.  I'm embarrassed that I got to the point where I needed to lose 50 plus pounds.  I could sit here the rest of the night and make excuses....I'm big-boned, I had several surgeries in a short amount of time that prevented me from exercising, I discovered I have hypothyroidism, I'm busy raising my baby (okay, okay! Teenager!), and oh, there was that cancer thing that happened too.  But the bottom line is I stopped watching what I ate.  When I started taking Synthroid three years ago for my underactive thyroid, I thought it was going to be a miracle pill. I thought the pounds would just melt off.  Of course, that isn’t what happened.  Last December my physician said, you need to lose weight before you develop any more medical issues such as heart problems or diabetes.  That made me think…plus, maybe I’d like to be in some family pictures instead of being the one who volunteered to take them.  I pulled out some high school and college pictures and was reminded of the size I used to be, but you know what they say, “used to bees don‘t make honey”.  I didn’t look too bad back in the day, who knew?! 

It was then that I knew I needed to stop telling people I just had a baby and I had to stop blaming my “big-boned” heritage and accept the fact that it’s just poor eating habits and not enough exercise.  I was no longer going to buy dress slacks with an elastic waist. I was going to fit into a pair of jeans with rhinestones on the back pocket.  I was going to wear name brands like UnderArmour and Pink by Victoria Secret. I was going to put a little swagger back into my step.  That was a year ago……

Displaying photo.PNGLimiting my calories to 1200 per day, exercising from 60-90 minutes a day, sprinkled with some stress from raising my baby—err---teenager, was my formula.   The feeling I had when I slid into the jeans I haven’t worn for 8 years was incredible but even more incredible is the fact that I can’t wear them  now because they are too big J

 I will never be a size 2 nor will I ever wear a bikini. But I am able to be in the family pictures and selfies….I love selfies!  I am buying dress slacks without an elastic waist and I even purchased a pair of yoga pants.  I do own a pair of jeans, actually two pair, with rhinestones on the back pockets.  I now own several UnderArmour t-shirts that fit nicely.  I have put a bit of swagger back into my step but that might be my vertigo and not really swagger. 
Ten more pounds! It isn’t easy!  I love to eat….boy, do I love to eat!  I’m not sure how I’m going to shed these remaining pounds but I will.  I know I come from a heritage of big-boned, big hipped, voluptuous women but I’m kinda enjoying my butt being a little smaller and looking nice is rhinestone-pocketed jeans. 











No comments:

Post a Comment