Saturday, January 25, 2014

Any Baseball mom will go to bat for what matters: watching her son grow into a fine young man on the dusty diamond.......

You can spot a baseball mom from twenty paces – she usually has a large tote bag, found online that is handcrafted in team colors….and in my case, includes rhinestones.   Usually she is wearing some form of baseball jewelry, maybe earrings or a necklace, sometimes a bracelet too…..again, in my case, very blingy.  

They’re a special breed, baseball moms.  When the ball is in play, she is screaming and beating on the fence while attempting to force runners out with pure lung power.  And a baseball mom can be an endless source of practical information as it relates to online shopping and laundry stain removal (between innings, of course).  She can also be an endless source of inspiration.  Yep.  I said inspiration.  See, your average baseball mom is not your average parent.  She’s a team player in every sense of the word.  A baseball team is just the right size for the baseball mom to “hover parent”.  Try bringing Gatorade for an entire football team.  Try getting to know every parent with a child on the track team.  It doesn't work so well with groups that size.  But twelve to fourteen kids mixed with agreeable spring and summer weather, it brings out the best in a mom.

I got my start as a baseball mom with T-ball. Tyler was 4 years old.  Most baseball moms get their feet wet by bringing team snacks and concession stand duty.  My approach was a little different—I worked my way onto the field as an assistant coach.  When Tyler moved up to coach pitch instructional baseball, I was there as the dugout mom and then the score keeper.   When Tyler was nine, he started playing  travel baseball and we spent weekends living in hotels with other parents.  The level of "baseballmomism" took on a whole new meaning with travel baseball. 
  
The years flew by and Tyler is now entering into his last year of high school baseball.  He no longer asks me for sno-cones and nachos from the concession stand after the game.  And if I even mention bringing enough sunflower seeds and bubblegum to a varsity game for the whole team, he looks at me like I have a lobster crawling out of my ear.  They’re not little T-ballers anymore.

But I am still a baseball mom and I yearn for the days of making team goodie bags…….

I recently attended a parent meeting for Tyler’s high school baseball team.  The meeting was about the opportunity for the team to play at PNC Park.  At one point during the meeting the coach explained that although they would love to win every game, baseball is more than just about a winning season.   He stated that he and his coaching staff like to teach more than just baseball skills, they like to include “life skills” as well.   Another coach remarked that “service” was hard to teach and that he was pleasantly surprised when two seniors on the baseball team approached him about service project they wanted the baseball team to do.  They wanted to collect toys for children who are in Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.  Not only did they want the team to participate in this service project this year, but they wanted this to become a legacy for Shenango High School baseball.  One of the seniors was Tyler.  I knew about the project.  Tyler has talked to me endlessly at about it  and what he plans to do and what how he wants it to look.  What I didn’t know was that it was his idea.  As I sat in that meeting and listened to the coach praise my son, my heart swelled with pride and my eyes filled up with tears.  What baseball mom’s wouldn’t?  I looked at my son who was sitting there listening with his eyes looking down. My son….he’s talking about my son.  He was talking about the child, who for years, had so much pent up anger because his grandmother was taken away by cancer.  He was talking about the child, who a few years after that, had to learn that his mother had cancer.  He was talking about the child, who a couple years after that lost his grandfather suddenly while we were away at a baseball tournament.  The child, who didn’t speak to adults until tenth grade and who was diagnosed with social anxiety.   The tears slid down my cheek although I didn’t want them to.   I looked at my son sitting next me.  He was no longer the four year old T-ball player that made me play catch for hours or time him while he ran the bases.  He was an adult.  When did that happen?  Although I’m so full of emotion lately, I knew it would be a very bad idea to wrap my arms around him during that meeting. 

I love every minute I have spent at the baseball field so far.  It’s a big part of our life and more importantly, my son is doing what he loves best.  Thirteen years ago we started this journey, with a little four year old who couldn’t get enough of running the bases.  Watching him grow into the ballplayer and young man he is today has been a great joy.  Lucky for me, the ultimate baseball mom, the journey isn’t over. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment