Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Class120....The Perfect App for Prying Parents

You read that right.....an App for prying parents.  Class120  alerts parents when their college student does not attend class.  This is real life, people!

My first thought when I saw this was, 'Thank God this stuff didn't exist when I went to college' and my second thought was, 'Oh wait, I wonder if Tyler skips classes...' 

Hmmmm.....

http://www.exit-31.com/wp-content/
uploads/2015/03/class120-video1.jpg

The App is installed on the college student's phone and the student enters his/her class schedule information. If the student doesn't show up at the location where the class is being held, a near-real-time message is sent to the parent.  The message would be something like,  "Hi Kim B., Class120 was unable to detect Tyler B. at the following class today: Biology101." Another feature is that school administrators can also be notified.



Okay, I get that the single best thing to improve students' success in college is to go to class, but isn't this a responsibility that should have been developed earlier in the student's life?  I mean, when it's bitter cold and snowing and your child has an 8 AM class on a morning after he  has been up all night drinkin....errr....studying, do you think when he turns that alarm off and snuggles back under his blanket that he is thinking of that App?

I'd like nothing more than to know where my kid is while he is at La Roche.  Losing that control when he went to college was difficult.  So if an App can be developed to tell me when he doesn't attend class, maybe the following can be developed as well: 

1.  Study130....This will tell me if my son has studied sufficiently for all his classes.  

2.  CleanRoom140....This App will tell me how clean his room is, including the bathroom and whether or not his bed is made and his dirty clothes are off the floor.  

3.  CafFood150....This will let me know if he is making healthy choices in the caf.  It would work well with WorkOut160 which lets me know if he got all his required (and maybe even extra) workouts in. 

4.  Guests170....Who is visiting his room? Who is staying a little too long?  Who stayed all night? Was it a female (Gasp!!)?

5.  WeekendWarrior180.....On the weekends my son doesn't want to come home, I will know why.  I will also know where and with who.....and if alcohol was consumed (Gasp!!).

And lastly, my favorite, TuckMeIn190......This will notify me when my son is tucked safely into his bed each night.  

I know of very few who struggled more than me when I sent Tyler off to college last year. But going off to college is a rite of passage, enabling him to become an adult while in the still-moderately-sheltered domain of a campus.   So I guess I will rely on the old-fashion way of finding out if he attended class---I'll ask him.  

I'm not giving up hope on the TuckMeIn190 just yet......


No comments:

Post a Comment