Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Spring is in the air and so is Senioritis

It happens every year.
     Juniors begin their year wondering if they’ll catch it next...
          Seniors battle it from the start of their year until the end of the year activities 
               such as prom
                    final exams
                         and senior hook-out day.
All signs showing that graduation is within sight.

Senioritis.

Senioritis is the horrible disease that strikes high school seniors.  Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of sweats and sweatshirts, lack of studying, and a dismissive attitude.  The only known cure is the occurrence of graduation.



As a student and then later as a teacher, I never really took ‘senioritis’ seriously. I considered it something people talked about and made to be a huge nightmare….An excuse for the behavior of some seniors who could not control themselves. In reality, being a senior was just the same as being a junior, sophomore, or freshman. Right?

Wrong! I don’t say this very often…..
I was wrong!


As a parent of a senior who is nearly done with his final year of high school, I can tell you that senioritis truly does occur.   It is a state of mind for teens: they are so, so close to being done with high school that they can almost taste the crappy college cafeteria food. A change starts happening once they finish applying to colleges and receive a few acceptance letters.  I’m sure a few even wonder why they even have to finish the year. After all, they know their plan and they know what field of study they are going to go into. Even students that are “Undecided” about their future plans know that high school is done helping them.

I noticed gradual changes in Tyler throughout the year.  All were sure signs of senioritis. He seemed to be in a constant battle between “I don’t want to fail” and “I don’t care enough to do anything.” 

Tyler started his senior year full of excitement.  He had been recruited to play baseball at La Roche College, most of his senior portfolio was complete and well, he was a senior.  That excitement was replaced by complacency. He went through a period in which he was kinda “blah”.  He didn't dislike high school, but he was starting to look forward to college. It was a limbo-like stage.  By late winter, Tyler loathed school, his teachers, and his classes. He was unmotivated and angry.

It wasn't until baseball season started that I saw another change in Tyler.  He would come home from practice and go on and on about how much he enjoyed the younger players.  He was amazed at how much they liked him.  It’s not that Tyler isn't likable, but for some reason this seemed different to him.  Almost as if these boys looked up to him.  That is when I think Tyler realized he could be a leader.  Overnight he went from idolizing other high school baseball players to becoming a leader of the team. 

As I watched this transformation occur throughout the year, I came to a conclusion about Tyler’s senioritis.  Tyler realized that he was growing up. I don’t mean that he ran around and saying things like, “Hey, I’m a big boy now!” or “Look at me! I’m all grown up!” But his focus changed.  He had a lot going on and I saw him starting to focus on life in the real world, not the world of high school.  After his last high school baseball game and the prom, it was evident that Tyler was at the point where he doesn't fit in with the rest of the high school anymore. 

He is ready to move onto bigger and better things and I’m sure he can’t wait to get started. But school isn't over yet, he still has to graduate!  I preach to him weekly….ummm, okay, probably daily, that I expect him to maintain good grades and that everything counts up until the very end.  Staying focused the last couple weeks isn't going to be easy for any student.  Heck, I know teachers who are starting to lose focus too!  This impatience is amplified even further when seniors don’t see the point in it anymore. I’m sure Tyler is wrestling with finishing his high school career strong and being tired of focusing on high school. That’s why this horrid disease, Senioritis, can be tricky.  While it’s a sign of growing up and focusing on life outside of high school, it can also be an excuse to slack off senior year. The key is finding a balance. 

Tyler has been trained to run in a hamster wheel for 13 years, churning out A's and B’s while maintaining his athleticism from Kindergarten to his senior year.  I forced him into believing that every school assignment determined his future.  And when his Senior year finally hit, instead of coasting by taking wood shop and 3 study halls, he was studying and trying to raise his GPA just a little more. Why?  Because I told him that he should. 

But will a little spring slacking hurt him? Of course it won’t hurt him.  What I discovered is that it actually helped him.  Instead of hovering and nagging about getting assignments done and studying for tests, I let him go.  I let him determine when to study or when to start working on projects.  This wasn't easy for me!  For the first time in years, I eased off the reins a bit.  After all, this is his last year of high school…..actually, the last couple weeks of high school (sniff…sniff).  He has a scary few years ahead of him in college, and then a lifelong career afterward. 


So, what is the cure for this nasty disease?  We all know there is only one remedy to this ailment that so many seniors suffer from. On the night of Commencement, the misery will trickle out of their ears the moment they turn their tassels. The freedom caps, also known graduation caps, will simulate applause as they are thrown into the air with joy, and the removal of the illness will be evident among all of the newly graduated students. 

Congratulations to the graduates of 2014!






No comments:

Post a Comment