Sunday, May 25, 2014

Keep Calm, Summer is Coming

It’s that time of year when kids start counting down the number of days of school….Or how many more times they have to wake up….Or how many Mondays they have left.  It’s also that time of year when teachers start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  

It’s almost time for the start of Summer break!  

This time of year always brings back memories of my summer breaks. I usually find myself reminiscing about my mostly unchaperoned, dysfunctional up-bringing. Back in the day, summer break was a time for a more chill, carefree time–where kids play outdoors, unsupervised from sun up to sundown.  

I didn't have a cell phone. I didn't have texting.  I didn't have a computer or IPad.  I didn't have Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or anything that resembled social media. But you know what? I survived. I was happy with what I had, with no sense of entitlement. 

Summertime when I was a kid was a time of discovery and exploration. It wasn't a time to stay indoors. My sisters and I were wise enough to know to get out of the house quick in the morning in order to avoid a long To-Do list of unpleasant chores, parents who believed in spanking, yelled, and knew how to say ‘No’.


My main mode of transportation was my bike. I loved riding my bike.  No helmets were required back then! I remember how cool I thought I was when I rode down the hill with no hands on the handlebars!  I rode my bike even when there was no place to go.  I would just ride around the block again and again.  No doubt I was either talking to myself or singing absentmindedly as I rode along….maybe even doing the letters above my head to “YMCA” while singing and trying to not fall off my bike.  Or maybe I was concocting some type of adventure in my head where I was chasing bank robbers!  

There were a number of families with kids in the neighborhood I grew up in. We would hit one back yard after another, where we’d create elaborate imaginative games. Swings would be our air crafts to the moon or we’d be Olympic gymnasts all trying to win the gold medal.  I never won the gold.  My legs were never straight when I did my handstand.  Plus, I always lost points when I’d forget to tuck my t-shirt in and it would show my girl parts when I did my cartwheel. I guess Olympic gymnasts aren't supposed to be chubby.  

We’d play whiffle ball or kickball for hours. We’d climb trees, jump rope, or take turns with the lemon skip it.  I loved twirling my baton.  Not a real one. You know, the big fat ones that would bend if it was dropped one too many times!  

If it was a game day, I had to throw 100 pitches in a bucket before lunch.  Because my sisters wanted me to be the best pitcher ever, they would count to make sure I didn't cheat myself out of even one pitch!  Because that would be cheating myself and I would never be the best pitcher if I did that.  Little brats!  They were there to tattle if I only threw 99! 

Lunch at my house primarily consisted of peanut butter and jelly or bologna sandwiches.  If my sisters and I were lucky, we’d get a Hostess snack cake. White Wonder bread was pretty much guaranteed. The fresher the bread, the better!  I loved sneaking a piece of bread, tearing off the crust, and then rolling the bread in the palm of my hands until it was nothing but a dough ball! Lemonade or Kool-Aid was our thirst quenching options.  And if we didn't like it, there was always water, from the kitchen sink.  

As soon as I finished lunch, I’d head back outside.   Possibly pretending to “drive my car” (my bike). Or maybe just sit in the shade and try to make funny noises by blowing on a blade of grass firmly pressed between my two thumbs. When I was a little older, I’d lay in the sun and attempt to get a tan. We didn't have a pool so I’d throw an old blanket on the grass where I thought there would be the least amount of bees.  I’d coat myself with baby oil and lay there for what seemed like hours.  When I’d get hot, I’d turn on the hose and squirt off…rinsing the sweat, baby oil and little bugs that got stuck in it off my red skin.  Then I would oil up and do it again.

When it was really hot, we were allowed to turn the hose on and squirt each other.  We found ways to make different games out of it.  I remember turning the back yard into a mud pit.  More than once we made a slip-n-slide with mud.  Who needed a pool when you have a yard and a hose?

After 8-10 hours of being accountable to no one, the neighborhood kids would start to wander back to their own yards. Bikes were parked for the night and jump ropes were put away.  Eventually you’d hear mothers yell out the front door, “dinner time” and one by one, the yards became empty.  Dirty, sweaty kids headed in to eat whatever mom had cooked.  

Sometimes when it got dark, I’d head outside to catch lightning bugs. But mainly the evenings were spent inside.  Family time was spent watching whatever popular prime time show was on.  Maybe it was a ‘Three’s Company’ night or ‘Solid Gold’ night.  I hadn't watched TV all day so TV time was a treat.   Or maybe if nothing good was on, I’d get to play “Frogger” on the Atari if my sisters weren't hogging it.  If nothing else, I would pull out a deck of cards and play game after game of Solitaire.  After I got a bath and before bed, I could have a snack….a Popsicle, or maybe an apple or maybe saltines with peanut butter.  Friday nights were special nights though; my sisters and I were allowed to have a bowl of potato chips and one glass of RC Cola.  

Sleep came easy after a full day of fun, sun and adventure.  

And the next day, I’d get up and do it all again. A new day meant a new adventure….the unknown. Anything was possible…

No comments:

Post a Comment