Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lookin' for a hobby

Tyler’s senior year is half over.  I have to admit that so far it has been pretty smooth.  The dreaded “Senioritis” hasn't set in yet and I haven’t received any alarming news that he won't be graduating for some obscure reason.   Don’t get me wrong, I’m still full of emotion and could cry at the drop of a hat, but life is moving along….
            …..quickly
                        …..too quickly
He graduates in 94 days…that’s approximately 2256 hours….minus 7 hours a day for sleeping—1598 hours...minus school and work hours….time with friends….baseball practice and games….I have approximately 100 quality hours with Tyler before he graduates! Ohhh, I can feel my emotions starting to overflow…..

According to Wikipedia, the definition of “Empty Nest Syndrome” is a feeling of grief and loneliness parents may feel when their children leave home for the first time, such as to live on their own or to attend a college or university. It is not a clinical condition.  Whoa! What?! It’s not a clinical condition? 


So how will I put all the extra time to good use? Here I am, in my forties. It seems like my breasts, and everything else, sag a little more each day.  My eyes don't work as well as they used to.  I haven't shaved my legs since all this cold weather began. I can't remember, half the time, what I went to get when I walk  into another room to get something. And I am well on my way to being called "The crazy cat lady". It will be hard to convince myself that I shouldn't just sit on the couch and watch TV.  

A hobby.  That’s what everyone keeps telling me…that I will need a hobby.  But what?  Maybe I could learn hip hop? Try an art class? Maybe tango or some salsa lessons? Pole dancing?
 
Dancing isn't really my thing so how about a new sport?  I could try water polo? No, that would mess up my hair.  How about ice hockey?  Heck no, I hate being cold.  Fencing? Kickboxing? How about kickball? Maybe I can find a kickball, or whiffle ball league to participate in. 

Drums!  That’s it! I’ll take some lessons and then join a rock band!  Or I’ll recruit friends and create my own garage band!  

I’m not ready for my baby bird to leave the nest.  The thought of it makes me feel sad and depressed.  It is not healthy. I know this. I am dealing with it through the help of Google. After all, Google always has the right answers.   Here are some of the tips I picked up:

Accept the timing. Avoid comparing your child’s timetable to your own personal experience. Instead, focus on what you can do to help your child succeed when he or she does leave home.
Ok…I can do this.

Keep in touch. You can continue to be close to your children even when you live apart. Make an effort to maintain regular contact through visits, phone calls, emails, texts or video chats.
Ok…I can drunk dial him. I have his number.

Stay positive. Thinking about the extra time and energy you might have to devote to your personal interests after your child leaves home might help you adapt to this major life change.
Stay positive?  Major Life Change?  Stupid Google!  Never believe everything you read on the Internet!

Of course in this day and age, the social media era, my nest doesn't necessarily have to be empty. It can simply go digital.  If Tyler won’t be a willing party then my only other option is social media stalking.  I would imagine that after a few “I miss you, my little bear cub” tweets to him that he will remember to call me on a daily basis.  

I need to jump over to Twitter now to stalk.....errr..... I mean to do some Intense research of an individual.  Yeah, that's it....intense research.  




No comments:

Post a Comment