Monday, March 10, 2014

Does This Job Make My Butt Look Bigger?

Does this job make my butt look bigger?

Once upon a time when I was a librarian, I never sat.  I darted around the library doing various librarian tasks that needed to be done.  Bending and reaching to put books away, carrying or pushing AV equipment or instructing and assisting students.  There were a few times that I pulled out the yo-yo and did tricks for the students or taught mini-lessons on how to box out under the hoop. I never thought about the physical activity that I engaged in during the day as a librarian.  I went to work, did my job and had fun doing it. 

I have a new position now and I love it!  Let me say that again,
I ab-sooooo-lute-ly love my job!  I arrive at work by 7:30 and on most days I leave at 4:30 only because the secretary at the front desk kicks me out. There is so much to do and so much that I can dive into on a daily basis.  Fortunately for me, the world of curriculum and assessment in public education is growing.  There are days when I am at one of the schools in our district or I have to attend some type of training at the Intermediate Unit, but for the most part, I am in my office, at my desk…....sitting…....for…......hours. 

I’m not used to all this sitting.  I swear there are days that I actually feel the fat building up in buttocks and hips from sitting.  My once-bumpin’ backside seems like it has become a sad lump of Silly Putty that looks like it’s been stomped on by a 7-mile-long marching band parade.

There has to be a few office-friendly fitness moves that can rein in the dreaded office-chair demise, right? I’m not talking about a “Brazil Butt Lift” look, just something to help my backside from spreading.  They need to be subtle fitness moves, ones my co-workers won’t know I’m doing when they stop by my office. 

I consulted my friend Google for some assistance and here are a few that I found:

1.  Leg Circles--Sit at the edge of your chair with your left leg bent and your right leg straight. Slowly make small circles to the right with your straight leg……..Might as well stop right there.  I’m pretty sure that one would be noticeable to all who walked by my office door. 
2.  The Alphabet--Sit at the edge of your chair. Lift one leg with your toes slightly touching the ground. Simulate painting each letter in the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Then repeat the alphabet, but with your heel slightly touching the ground. Switch legs after completing the alphabet with your toes and heel at least one or two times through….Okay, seems simple enough until someone calls me on the phone and as I’m listening to them talk they hear me muttering the alphabet.  Moving right along to the next one…..
3.   Buttocks Squeeze-- The easiest exercise you can do while working is buttocks squeezes. Just sit in your chair and squeeze your butt, and then release. To make the exercise more difficult, hold the squeeze a few seconds before releasing. Try doing this for one minute……Ummmm, next!
Maybe someone will invent some type of chair that will prevent the downfall of the backsides of people everywhere who sit at their desk for several hours a day.  Something simple yet elegant like the Charigami chair.  

Charigami?  

Yep!  This cardboard chair is designed to promote good posture and reduce back pain (http://www.chairigami.com/seating.html).  Really?

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to help prevent the "office chair spread" of my hindquarters. So for now I will just enjoy my job and do little things to get my boo-tay up and moving.  Sooo starting tomorrow I'm going to set the alarm on my phone so that I get up and walk every hour or so.    
Pssttttt......I'm doing buttock squeezes as I sit here and type this :)
  



No comments:

Post a Comment