Sunday, January 24, 2016

“All I Really Need To Know I Learned Coaching Preschool Basketball”

Working with these little ones reminds me of the poem, "All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten", by Robert Fulghum. The poem starts like this….

Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sand pile at Sunday school.

The poem goes on to list important life lessons that are learned in kindergarten such as….

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.

I’ve created my own list and called it, “All I Really Need To Know I Learned Coaching Preschool Basketball”.

These are the things I learned from my little kiddos:

  • Who cares what your jumping jacks look like, just do them.
  • It’s okay to admit that your legs are tired and they need to sit.
  • No matter the age, girls stick together.
  • When you gotta pee, you gotta pee no matter what you are doing or how old you are.
  • The coach is expected to provide snacks.
  • Water breaks are important even if you use them to go say hi to Nana.
  • If the offense wants to be called “princesses” instead of “offense”, its’ okay.
  • If the defense wants to be Ninjas, it’s okay.
  • Let them run…And run....And run.
  • Hugs are going to happen….just give in and let it happen.
  • New shoes are the BEST, even if they are on the wrong feet!
  • If you kneel on the floor, they will use you as a jungle gym….don’t fight it.
  • Red light, green light, purple light is always appropriate.
  • Nose picking will happen.
  • When a preschool boy covers his jewels, he is NOT preparing to set a pick like the high    school boys, he has to pee NOW.
  • Not every child knows the game of basketball, but every child does want to have fun and be part of a group.
  • Lastly, it’s okay to scrap the agenda and just have fun. 

 At the end of the night, each child puts on his/her coat and hugs me before they leave.  They thank me and tell me where they are going for dinner and a couple have even invited me to join them.  

I've learned that my preschool players can make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside no matter what kind of day I've had.  

I can’t wait to see what I learn next week…….



No comments:

Post a Comment