Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I've Got 99 Problems, but Ronda Isn't One of Them.......


I stopped by my friend Ronda’s house the other day unannounced.  Her husband was in the garage so I hollered as I was getting out of the car, “Hey, Bill!”

“Hi Kim. Ronda is out back.”

As I headed through the garage, Bill yelled, “Ronda, Kim is here! Kim!  Kim Booher!....KIM! Maybe you should put your shirt on!”

Yikes! She must be in the pool, I thought. 

As I stepped out of the garage, I heard Ronda yell to her son, “Can you hand me my top?”
                         
He looked at me and rolled his eyes and said, “I’m helping dad.”

Bill said, “You get it, RonDAAA.”

“I can’t reach it, Billllllll.”

“I’ll hand it to you.  I’m coming over there anyhow.” I said. 

This is soooo typical of my friends which I why I love them so much!  Ronda and I have been friends for over twenty years.  Through the years we’ve vacationed together, worked out together, shopped together, and camped together.  We’ve shared secrets, laughs and tears of joy and sadness.  We’ve sat together in church and suppressed giggles when she’d see me putting lipstick on for the third time.  We’ve shared hours together listening to every cassette the Jerky Boys ever made ( “This is Frank Rizzo.  Thatttt’s right, tough guy. ….”)  and I think we’ve watched every episode of “COPS” produced!  We were also there for each other when we lost loved ones.  We provided comfort and support for one another along with endless prayers. 

Our families used to spend every weekend together.  And believe me, it was ALWAYS an adventure!  But sometimes life gets in the way. It happens.  What was once your number one priority gets pushed to the back burner. Friends that you thought you’d never go a day without speaking to drift off into their own lives. The days pass and your new reality takes over as the memories get pushed down into the deepest spaces of your mind and heart…always there, just hidden from view.  But when the stars and the moon align and we get to hang out, we pick up right where we left off. 

That’s exactly what happened after Ronda put her swimsuit top on the other day.  She floated on her raft and I sat on the steps with my feet in the cool water.  A few days after that she texted to say she was coming over to meet my new kitten, Cali.  She showed up with a cooler of Corona and a lime.  For a couple hours, it was just her and I. With Ronda I don’t have to pretend.  I can be myself…my realest and most honest self. 

It doesn’t matter how often we keep in touch, and it doesn’t matter when Ronda and I will have time to hang out again. I know that when we do there won’t be that awkward small talk in the beginning; we will just start talking and teasing as though we never drifted.   

So, Happy Birthday to my friend, Ronda!

Here’s to the crap we would talk
During the miles we would walk.
Here’s to the way we shop
And the laughs we can’t stop.
Here’s to the gossip we spill
With Coronas on ice to chill.
Here’s to going out to dinner
And making sure yours is a winner.  
Here’s to me having a lime
When you come over next time.
Here’s to the random memories that make me smile
Even if I haven’t seen you in awhile.


I love you and wish you nothing but the best.  

PS....We REALLY need a couple newer pictures together pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment