Saturday, July 26, 2014

When in Rome, Do as the Romans do?


One of the first couple days in Punta Cana, Tyler and Briana went down to the ocean while the rest of us stayed at the pool. While standing in the waves, something bumped Tyler lightly in the back so he turned to see what it was. He was greeted by a woman approximately my age lying on her back on a raft being guided by what looked like her teenage son. Aww, sweet, huh?

Not so much for my son since her bare ta-tas were staring him in the face. Say what? Yep, she was topless. A couple days later, I spotted the same woman on the beach.  She was floating on her pink raft in the ocean and then she and her son hit a volleyball back and forth in the sand while her husband took pictures. She wore a black thong …..only. Her husband was more conservatively dressed in a navy blue Speedo.  I noticed, however, that when the couple approached the bar on the beach she put her bathing suit top on. Aahhhh, at least she was a classy nudist!


Tan Lines Are Optional.....

All of my swimsuits are different so my tan lines are horrendous. The woman I mentioned above had the absolute best tan with zero tan lines from the waist up. I was a tad envious of her but not enough to join in. Apparently others wanted zero tan lines from the waist up because she wasn't the only topless woman on the beach I saw throughout the week.  With that said, I would say that less than 10% of the women on the beach were topless where we stayed.   I was fascinated by the carefree, open attitude these women seemed to have. They were all shapes, sizes and ages, and they obviously felt at ease whipping off their bathing suit tops to tan their ta-tas.  












It just doesn't happen in Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Ocean City…..but I bet if you go to any beach or park in Europe and on a hot, sunny day and you will find lots of topless sunbathing.  No one cares. I read that in Spain, topless sunbathing is so popular that all beaches legally allow it. Is the United States behind times? Have we created an image that is so far-fetched that millions of women are ashamed of how they look?

Ironically, August 24, 2014 is actually Go Topless Day!  American women are encouraged to try topless sunbathing or just to go topless at home or in your back yard.  I guess you don't have to worry about ill-fitting bathing suit tops and funny tan lines. Plus, it might be a great way to boost your self-esteem. You will not find me participating in this holiday event, just so you know.

Everyone has a bikini body….

I appreciate people who do not have self-esteem issues.  I, like thousands of others, spend my time on the beach or at the pool suffering in stomach-sucking-in silence.  I think a lot of people at the beach or pool constantly hold in their midriff, while a quarter hide their muffin-top, hips and thighs with a sarong.  And don’t forget those who have tried five diets or more to trim down before even heading on vacation. 

But there are many who are comfortable in their skin and just accept how they look….even in a Speedo or bikini.  I saw a lot of women and men who looked good, even great, on the beach and at the pool.  I even drooled a couple times.  But I saw a few that made me cringe.  That made me wonder if they had a mirror at home…that made me wonder if they tried it on before packing it for vacation.  I know, I know, who am I to judge?  I think it’s more jealously than anything.  I want to feel comfortable walking around the beach without sucking in my stomach.  After all, we ALL have some pudge. We all have some cellulite.  I want to be able to sit (gasp), you know, in the position that makes my pooch pop out and not throw a beach towel over my lap.



Don't get Cheeky with me…..

Oh, the thongs!  I mean, OOhhhhhh!  The! Thongs!  I saw more butt cheeks this past week than I ever planned to see in my lifetime! Big cheeks…small cheeks….old cheeks….male cheeks….female cheeks….wrinkled cheeks….hairy cheeks……it’s just not right!



 Don't Worry, Be Happy.......

During the week I  saw men and women of all shapes and sizes, in Speedos and swim trunks, one-piece swim suits and of course, bikinis. I’d say the most memorable beach attire I saw was a plus-sized woman wearing a leopard-print one piece, with a green, extra large tee-shirt underneath the swimsuit. Wow.
Needless to say, she was wearing what she wanted to wear, as we all were.  No one is perfect, including me, but if you have it and want to flaunt it, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana seems to be the place to go!  

I decided to not do as the Romans did at the beach and I kept my top on and I kept my cheeks covered. Because of this, I'm probably pictured in some Brazilian chick's blog about Americans wearing too much clothing at the beach. :) 














No comments:

Post a Comment